Home is left gutted by an exploding e-cigarette

By | February 26, 2017


An e-cigarette exploded and burst into flames – gutting an entire bedroom.

Eight firefighters were sent to tackle the blaze at 1:40pm in the two-storey semi-detached house in Oldbury, West Midlands.

Nobody was injured in the incident, which charred the room’s wooden furniture and dangerously melted an extension cable.

The bedroom was left completely gutted by the fire, which was caused by an overcharged e-cigarette exploding

The bedroom was left completely gutted by the fire, which was caused by an overcharged e-cigarette exploding

The bedroom was left completely gutted by the fire, which was caused by an overcharged e-cigarette exploding

A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: ‘There was a fire in the first floor front bedroom of a semi-detached house caused by an exploding e-cigarette. 

‘Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire. There were no injuries.’

Pictures show the major fire damage in the front bedroom on the first floor caused by the e-cigarette.

Oldbury Fire Station shared photos of the room burnt to smithereens, including gutted wardrobes, a charred bed with shredded sheets and a melted power supply.

E-cigarettes have been linked to a series of grisly explosions. According to one report the problem is linked to their lithium battery.

In January a 30-year-old father in Idaho lost seven teeth when his vape pen exploded in his face.

The e-cig (pictured centre) also melted an extension cable. Fire chiefs have said it's 'vitally important' to use the right type of charger 

The e-cig (pictured centre) also melted an extension cable. Fire chiefs have said it's 'vitally important' to use the right type of charger 

The e-cig (pictured centre) also melted an extension cable. Fire chiefs have said it’s ‘vitally important’ to use the right type of charger 

In December shoppers in Leeds, West Yorkshire were sent running for cover when a man’s e-cigarette caught fire inches from a baby’s pram. 

The problem has become so common that the London Fire Brigade have had to issue a warning.

Charles Pugsley, from the London Fire Brigade’s Investigation Team, said: ‘People assume e-cigarettes are much safer than ordinary cigarettes, and in most cases they are.

‘The danger is that people sometimes use incorrect chargers which runs the risk of over-charging, which can potentially have explosive results. We are calling on e-cig retailers to ensure they are selling the correct chargers for the cigarettes.

‘As with all rechargeable electrical equipment it’s vitally important that people use the correct type of charger for their e-cigs to prevent fires which can be serious and could even result in death.’  



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *