E-cigarette EXPLODES in man’s pocket inches from baby in shopping centre

By | December 21, 2016


Fire crews have released CCTV footage of the terrifying  moment an e-cigarette battery exploded in the user’s pocket just inches from a baby’s pram.

Images show a man walking casually, totally unaware of the plume of smoke coming from his pocket until it begins fizzing violently, emitting a bright light then exploding.

The bang sends other shopped running for cover as sparks fly in the busy Trinity shopping centre in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Scroll down for video 

Fire crews have released CCTV footage of the terrifying moment an e-cigarette battery exploded in the user's pocket just inches from a baby's pram

Fire crews have released CCTV footage of the terrifying moment an e-cigarette battery exploded in the user's pocket just inches from a baby's pram

Fire crews have released CCTV footage of the terrifying moment an e-cigarette battery exploded in the user’s pocket just inches from a baby’s pram

Images show a man walking casually, totally unaware of the plume of smoke coming from his pocket until it begins fizzing violently, emitting a bright light

Images show a man walking casually, totally unaware of the plume of smoke coming from his pocket until it begins fizzing violently, emitting a bright light

Images show a man walking casually, totally unaware of the plume of smoke coming from his pocket until it begins fizzing violently, emitting a bright light

The fire service said the explosion was started when the lithium-ion battery in his pocket came into contact with another metal item, such as coins or keys.

The man was left with slight injuries and needed first aid treatment.

Fire investigator Jamie Lister said: ‘This footage clearly shows the dangers of storing batteries alongside any metal objects, be it keys, coins, or even your phone if it has a metal case.

‘This is not the first time we have seen injuries caused by a lithium-ion battery exploding whilst being carried in someone’s pocket. We really want the public to understand the risks which can be easily avoided.

The bang sends other shopped running for cover as sparks fly in the busy Trinity shopping centre in Leeds, West Yorkshire

The bang sends other shopped running for cover as sparks fly in the busy Trinity shopping centre in Leeds, West Yorkshire

The bang sends other shopped running for cover as sparks fly in the busy Trinity shopping centre in Leeds, West Yorkshire

The fire service said the explosion was started when the lithium-ion battery in his pocket came into contact with another metal item, such as coins or keys

The fire service said the explosion was started when the lithium-ion battery in his pocket came into contact with another metal item, such as coins or keys

The fire service said the explosion was started when the lithium-ion battery in his pocket came into contact with another metal item, such as coins or keys

‘There does not need to be a fault with the battery, the problem is the incorrect storage of the batteries.’

E-cigarette users have been warned to carry batteries in a plastic case to prevent them short circuiting.

Mr Lister said: ‘There has been a marked increase in the number of fires we have seen, attributable to the incorrect storage of batteries.

‘The use of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries is now commonplace in modern society and that’s why we want people to be vigilant because a simple mistake could have a devastating consequence.’

 



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *